Tuesday 28 October 2008

A typical call at the switchboard

*beep* (meridian) *bing* the little alarmbell that goes off in my headset to alert me to the fact that customer contact is imminent. Quickly, I try to swallow a hard earned sip of water without choking and my ears lay back and open wide, ready to register the demands of my master: in this case a grumpy Highlander in search for a number of the "dpao of the 2nd sntyp in ufg scunthorpe" (or whatever it was - my short-term memory packed in when he got to 2nd). I say "Ok, I got scunthorpe - who did you want in what?" to which he, audibly impatient, answers in the same fashion, speed and dialect (boy, I wish I had a babblefish!) "the dpao of the 2nd sntyp in ufg scunthorpe". Right, I thought thats what I had heared! Still, it didn't make any sense to me whatsoever. So I slowly repeated the information back and trotted off on my little search structure through abreviation hell. Does he know what sntyp stands for, I ask him. "No!" he snapps back and I can almost hear his fingers tapping nervously on the table. After almost 5 mins of wrestling information out of him that might help me figure out what the hell he wants I finally come up with a listing that sounds like a winner. I read out the listing in hope that he will happily conclude "that's the badger", knowing without doubt that it must be right after figuring all the abrevations out (of course the listing didn't contain any of the abrevations) but instead he shouts "No! I wanted the "dpao of the 2nd sntyp in ufg scunthorpe". Then he hangs up.
I sit there shellshocked for about two seconds until the annoying *bing* in my headset pulls me back to reality. Next!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hihihi, hilarious!

hey - what "soapbox" were you refering to in yr. comment? kinda lost me there.....

write more, always happy to read about yr. adventures in the big world :-)

Anonymous said...

I dig your blog! :-)