Monday 16 July 2007

Little rant about Small talk

I hate small talk! No, really - I absolutely hate it! What is the point in talking to somebody about bullocks? Talking to somebody who you really don't want to talk to because you (obviously!) have nothing of interest to say to them? I don't understand it. Some people just make conversation for the sake of it, it seems. They start asking you random question and then when you start answering the have already turned off, ready to hassle the next person in line. They are not "really" interested in what you did over the weekend or what you had for dinner last night - they just want to catch your attention for a split-second to ensure that they still exist. And in the process they have distracted you from what you were focusing on, interrupted your trail of thought and further deepened the general fragmentation of your brain.

Its the same for random text messages and emails and phone calls - they drive me mad! This whole obligation business about staying in touch no matter what just because you "can". What is the point? Are we really that bored? I mean, if you have a "real" question or need some important information then by all means, go ahead and ask, text, email, phone, whatever...but if you really couldn't care less about what I'm up to or have no interest whatsoever in getting together then don't say "we really need to meet up soon" or "are you up to anything this weekend?". Its a complete waste of time and its annoying!

Besides, what if I were to take you serious? What if I really did want to get together because I genuinely like you or because I'm lonely? Then what?
How are you going to get out of that one? Would you still oblige? And what if I'm under the weather when you approach me? What if I were to answer honestly and start telling you about my problems and ask you about advise?
Wish you didn't ask?

Well, why did you then?

2 comments:

frau doktor said...

Because small talk might turn into medium talk and, possibly, big talk :-) and it´s a small start. Usually it´s just big bullshit though. I agree.

Anonymous said...

Good words.